Friday, September 11, 2009

Seed Stitching

 Queen Anne's Lace
8.5 x 11"

Back in June, I posted this bobbin-sketched journal quilt , but I decided that it needed "a little" something extra to make it really pop.  I didn't like the waviness in the background caused by some bad interfacing. So, I started seed stitching it, placing my stitches fairly close together.  Well, about seven hours later (for a 8.5 x 11 inch quilt), I finally finished.  Who knew that seed stitching took so much time?

When I decided to add the embroidery, I had already "finished" it, so I got a bit of draw in and some warping.  I mounted it on my 1x2 stretcher bars (like I do my weekly quilts) and that helped a lot. I like how the dense stitching really makes the flower puff out, giving it a trapunto effect, but I think that next time I decide to seed stitch something, I'll put a bit more space between the stitches. 

This quilt is off to Visceral Gallery in Centerville, where I hope it will be juried into the Color Restrained show.  And I'm off to Cleveland for the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) Ohio North Conference.  Yippee!!

3 comments:

norma said...

That really looks good! That seed stitching makes it pop and is reminiscent of seed pods blowing in the wind.

LaughingLG said...

Norma, thank you so much, I thought of that as I was working on it, but not when I designed it. A happy accident.

JafaBrit's Art said...

Beautiful!