Friday, September 11, 2009

Week One, September: Doodles on Radiance

For September, I've decided to use some Zentangle sketches to machine and hand embroider.  Last week, I used bobbin drawing to create this sketch of fern fiddleheads that the Zentangle people call fescu.  I had some problems machine quilting on Radiance, so I added some light fusible interfacing to the back of the fabric before I made the quilt sandwich.  For this design, I didn't need to do any handwork, but all of the next quilts are either entirely or partially worked by hand.  

The Radiance worked nicely with the interfacing to stabilize it; I didn't get the puckers I was getting before.  You can see, on the left hand side, where the machine tension changed, so I'll have to be careful to keep consistent tension even as I switch bobbins.  Oh, and how is this circles, you might ask?  Well, silly, those fiddleheads on the top are circular, aren't they?  That's my story, anyway. 

2 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

Ooooo, one of my favorite color combinations and I love ferns! What's not to like? Nice piece!

Lori Gravley said...

I love ferns, too. That unfurling is so compelling.