Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bobbin Sketching


Okay, I know it's supposed to be called bobbin drawing (as in drawing thread from the bobbin), but the heavy rayon thread made this look so much like a sketch, I couldn't resist.

I traced the original on tracing paper and then just followed the lines from the back. Turning it over was a little bit of magic. I like to be able to see what I'm doing, so this was a great practice in deepening my faith. Okay, so I peeked once or twice to make sure it was working. The sketch was of Queen Anne's Lace seen from below, but a number of people have said it resembles a dandelion.

I used regular cotton thread to make the interior lines a bit softer than the outline. This was so much fun, I'm sketching some larger banners using this same technique. I think I'll also add a layer of organza on top to get more shimmer and dimensionality. News on those later. I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments: