Friday, May 15, 2009

More Miniatures

"Blue on Black" and "Fields of Gold"

2x3 inches

While I was traveling last week, I finished these two miniatures for the Would You Could You in a Frame show that opens on June 19 in Yellow Springs, Ohio.

I had a lot of fun arranging, planning, and stitching these little darlings. They feel so childish and joyful, like a junk drawer where you keep all your
favorite things. Many of the beads and buttons were already in my collection, but I had to buy some of the blue beads as I didn't have quite enough of the dark blue beads and buttons in my stash.

Both of these are named after songs, and it was fun to sing them in my head as I beaded (a three or more hour process). Blue on Black is an awesome Texas Blues song by Kenny Wayne Shepard, and my favorite version of "Fields of Gold" is Eva Cassidy's haunting interpretation.

I used fusible shirt tailor and buckram on the fabric that I backed the beading with, and that made it much more stable. Then I added another layer of shirt tailor to the backing fabric before I sewed it on. Cheryl at Would You Could You said that she has been looking at the first one I brought to her nearly every day and trying to decide how she'll frame it. She said that each time she looks at it, she finds something new. I can't think of a higher compliment for these little pieces.

Hope to see you at the opening in June!! I've seen a few of the other miniatures, and they are amazing. And, since they're small, they're very affordable, averaging about $100 a piece. Debra Wilburn, who told me about the show, says that it's a beautiful show to see, with all the little works of art framed and arranged along the walls like the inside of a treasure room.

1 comment:

In the tent said...

Hi,

With your permission I'd like to add your blog to the blog page of my new quilting directory, Quilt Qua : http://www.quiltqua.com/links/blogs/ You can let me know if you'd like to be included. If you would like to be on the first alpha list, you simply need to let me know you've made mention, or placed a link on your site, back to Quilt Qua. I can send you a graphic if you'd like one for that purpose.

I try to check my lists, but if I've already contacted you, I'm sorry.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Here is info on the latest giveaway: Win: 1 Frosted Memories Fat Quarter Bundle by Holly Taylor for Moda Fabrics ! To enter simply "tell a friend" to spread the word about Quilt Qua. You can send an e-mail to people, post on your blog, comment on someone else's blog, put info in your guild newsletter, etc. Then send an e-mail to: quiltqua@gmail.com and let me know what you did. Enter as often as you wish. Random drawing for the winner will be at 10 pm July 31st. (Feel free to post giveaway info on your site)

Let me know if I've missed your business to list on the web site!


--
Thank you,
Connie Colten
Quilt Qua
www.quiltqua.com
619-562-0867