Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 8


Well, I finished this one early so that I can focus on the February challenges I haven't finished and on the meeting house quilt. This is the view from my back porch in Maryland. I miss our old yard and I miss my students, but I don't miss the frenetic pace and the insanity of living so close to the beltway and a big city.

After burning the hole in my weekly quilt on Sunday, I'm glad that I'm through with organza. I did learn a lot about how it can create transparency, and it was fun to use a new material, but I don't like having to be fussy with the heat. It's a good new tool for my toolbox, but I'm not sure how often I'll use it.

In March, my 6x6 challenge is using fabrics with circles in New York Beauty type blocks. I've done paper piecing before, but nothing as fussy as the New York Beauty block. It will also give me a chance to strengthen my curve sewing technique. Oh, and it also gave me a chance to buy some new fabric. I've been picking up every circle fabric I find lately (in 1/4 and fat 1/4 cuts, of course).

It also fits in nicely with our Art Quilt Workbook study group work. In April the group will be working on the innovative piecing chapter.

No comments: