Sunday, March 1, 2009

One Art: February Poetry Postcard














This month I honor one of my favorite poets, Elizabeth Bishop. Her poem, "One Art" is a villanelle about loss. She says,

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Onto the bowl with skeleton keys, I've quilted the first two lines of the second stanza above. "Lose something every day, accept the fluster of lost door keys, the hour badly spent."

Like my Poe postcard, I've edged the card instead of binding it. I've used a twisted cord for this one, but I found it more difficult to splice than the silk rat tail that I used for Poe. If anyone has perfected this technique and wants to share their tips, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Very nice; I love Elizabeth Bishop, and you've done a great job of interpreting her work in fabric!