Monday, December 28, 2009

Dec. Weekly Quilts: Frank Sinatra's Philosophy



When I set out to do this last set of quilts, I returned to some sketches I'd done this summer and to words.  These circular letters were inspired by that great t-shirt that reads.
To do is to be. -- Socrates
To be is to do. -- Sartre
do be do be do. -- Sinatra
And though the shirt is a joke, it is a quandry I often face.  Am I most myself when I'm working and doing or am I most myself when I am just existing without any production? Surely the world thinks that production is the thing--at least America does, but I can't help but wonder if all this doing keeps me from something essential about myself.  I feel guilty if I don't "do" stuff--my art, housework, writing, gardening, reading.  Just sitting around is frowned upon, even if I'm sitting on my zafu.

Oh, enough of that.  These quilts were also inspired by a postcard Ginny Smith gave me for our Q and A postcard exchange.  She had just taken a class with a teacher who used raw edge applique without any fusible and then quilted heavily over it to hold everything in place.


3 comments:

Deborah said...

These look lively! I like the raw edge applique with heavy quilting.

For Quilts Sake said...

So fun! These fit in with the other layouts where the individual pieces can be arranged in different ways.

LaughingLG said...

Pam, I was thinking that, too.

bode
be do
bed
obed
ode
doe
bod
deb


Boggle anyone?