Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March Weekly Quilts One and Two

For March, I've challenged myself with paper piecing and using patterns. I'm designing New York Beauty style blocks and paper piecing them. I haven't done a lot of paper piecing, and I've never done a New York Beauty quilt (or many traditional quilts for that matter), so I thought I could learn some new skills and a very interesting traditional pattern if I made this my challenge. They also contain semi-circles, so it fits with my circle theme.

The other challenge is using patterned fabrics in interesting ways. Some of the quilters I most admire really take risks with their fabric choices, so I thought I'd step outside the box and use up the circle fabrics I've been collecting since the beginning of the year.

There isn't enough contrast to my eye in the focal block of this 6x6 block. It draws the viewer in, but I'm not sure it's very effective. I like the V shape I've designed, and I might try this in bigger quilt since I'd like to see more of the right and left blocks.

One thing I didn't take into account with my design was how the 1/4 binding border would alter the final view.



















In the second week quilt, I consciously choose to use the intense colors together and the muted colors together, but it gives too much weight and interest in the upper block and the lower one falls away.

Also, though I allowed for the points on the outside of the bottom section, I must not have extended the pattern for the inside, so I don't like how the pink bottom points are cut off.

In general, I think the play with the patterns would work better on a bigger quilt. This week, I'm using a limited color palate in hue, and I'll see if it works better.

I'm really enjoying these weekly exercises. I've learned a lot already, and I am feeling more confident and more able to take risks with other quilts.

No comments: