Friday, February 4, 2011

The Inner Dome of Heaven, Fallen.


Besides the ominous cracking of some unwieldy trees in our yard and the 18 hour power outage, I enjoyed the ice storm.  One of the first things I noticed was the lovely irony of our Florida license plate shrouded by icicles.  Since my husband in in the miltary, we maintain our residency in Florida.  The ice was so thick, I couldn't open the trunk without a bit of help.

It was fun to have to snuggle in and the freedom from technology creates a beautiful silence.  I got out handwork that I had put away long ago and sat in the front window where there was more light to watch our Yellow Springs neighbors pass into town (where, thankfully, Sunrise Cafe was open, yum).




I couldn't help but think again and again of Robert Frost's poem "Birches." 

Often you must have seen them
Loaded with ice a sunny winter morning
After a rain. They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-coloured
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
Soon the sun's warmth makes them shed crystal shells
Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust
Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away
You'd think the inner dome of heaven had fallen.

In my mind again and again, as I stepped on broken icicles or maneuvered around a batch of ice I thought of his "heaps of broken glass." 

Now, the ice is melting and it's safe to walk again, but I'm thankful that weather can remind us to slow down:  to walk more slowly lest we slip, to do work with our hands because that's all we have, to snuggle with our loved ones because there is no heat and the human furnace burns hot.  Perhaps a little bit of heaven did fall.

6 comments:

jafabrit said...

enjoyed your post
AND your photograph.

Jude Walsh said...

Your poet/writer side is shining today... glad to see you posting again!

Lori Gravley said...

Thank you, both. I had an eye appointment and made Tony pull over at the edge of town so that I could photograph the lovely trees whose fruit had been flash frozen.

Unknown said...

I had hoped to get out and do some photography as although my yard wasn't so fantastic, the edges of the highway were unbelievable as I was driving home from treatment today and unfortunately, I was the only one in the car!

I was also amused that you've been thinking Robert Frost as well...although for a variety of reasons, my thoughts turned to his "Fire and Ice" sort of appropriate for what's happening in the Middle East. I like your choice better. His descriptors were just ....sigh....

Lisa

Lori Gravley said...

Lisa, yes, it's much better when someone else is driving and you can just yell, "Stop the car!" Thinking of you. Hope to see you on Monday or Saturday.

Deborah said...

Wonderful photos and poetic post!