Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Yo, Nov. Weekly Quilts 1 and 2



 Nov. Week 1--6 x 6"
It's been quiet here at Laughing Girl.  A broken sewing machine, a new class to teach, and National Novel Writing Month have taken their tool on my quilt output, but I finally finished the handstitching on my October Quilts, and I've finished my Nov. weeklies.  Yeah.  (I'll post October later this week.)

Liz Schneider presented a great workshop last Monday on textures to the Miami Valley Art Quilt Network study group.  She had great slides, amazing examples, and inspiring books to show us.  I love the texture hand stitching creates, so I thought I'd explore texture with my November quilts, since I was a week behind anyway.

Now, if you'd said to me even two weeks ago that I'd be making yo-yos, I would have laughed heartily.  But one example she showed used large yo-yos across the lower third of the quilt.  It used a mix of beige tones on a beige background, and I found it very compelling.

Nov. Week 2-- 6 x 6"
The yo-yos are made out of a silk dupioni tank top that someone gave me years ago.  The background is a metallic cotton. I may add some beads, but I like the simplicity.  They evoke the foam of the waves on the seashore for me.

7 comments:

kathy said...

These are lovely Lori!

Norma Schlager said...

These are lovely! I think the combination of the fact that they are silk and are irregular shapes gives them a whole new dimension and elegance. Definitely not your Grandma's yo-yos.

jafabrit said...

fabulous stitchwork, textures and mood.

Deborah said...

Great texture. I use yo-yo's in my art quilts, including pieced ones, but hadn't thought in monocromatic tones.

Unknown said...

It's so nice to see your take on the pieces I shared in our texture workshop. I love the subtle colors!

Lori Gravley said...

Liz,

Thank you!! What fun and wonderful info.

jafabrit said...

Just wanted to drop by and wish you Happy Holidays and all the best for the New Year
Corrine