Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week 3 and 4 Journal Quilts for June

This Week Three Journal quilt is called Aurora B. Week Four (below) is A. Borealis. I've never seen the Aurora Borealis, but these are the colors I always see in pictures and movies. I've done the same things I did with White Stars and White Sky, fusing circles, backing fabric, quilting, binding, then beading, but this time I wanted to see what happened when there was less contrast between the colors.

I love these little guys, and though it takes me about six hours to finish them, at least yesterday I had plenty of time sitting at the Camp Birch boy scout camp for then hours making sure the only kids who started fires were ones who had their fire chips.

I didn't have to worry about whether the beading was heavier in one part because I'll be stretching these quilts like I do all my weekly quilts. That gave me a lot of design freedom. I'm seed stitching the background of my bobbin drawn Queen Anne's Lace and yesterday I wondered if I should have seed stitched the background of these as well, but the month's almost over and the first two are already stretched, so maybe next time.

I've already designed next month's challenge quilts because I want them to be connected across the frames. I'll have to dye some more fabric, so I'll start out the month behind since I'm at Camp Catoctin cooking next week, but at least I'll have the design completed.

No comments: